2.25.2014

taste of darkness

She's fought death and won. But how can she fight her fears? Avry knows hardship and trouble. She fought the plague and survived. She took on King Tohon and defeated him. But now her heart-mate, Kerrick, is missing, and Avry fears he's gone forever. But there's a more immediate threat: The Skeleton King plots to claim the Fifteen Realms for his own. With armies in disarray and the dead not staying down, Avry's healing powers are needed now more than ever. Torn between love and loyalty, Avry must choose her path carefully. For the future of her world depends on her decision.  -Goodreads
I am a true creature of habit and when I find an author I enjoy I will try to read all of their books. I really like Maria V. Snyder. I like her characters, usually the main character is a strong female, and I like her writing style.
But this book...
I'm not sure if it had been too long since I've read the previous book or if in the previous 2 books there was so much added that it was hard to wrap up in just 1 book. There were characters from the first two books that were mentioned over and over without really even being in this book. And all of a sudden a new bad guy enters the story out of nowhere? And the military strategy...enough already. I was lost about which army was going which direction to cut off what other army. Not to mention the endless wandering the main characters did. And the guessing about who is really dead or just assumed dead. You know it's bad when the characters talk about being confused about whether someone is actually dead or just missing. And the ending just kind of came to a screeching halt. A good screeching halt, but jarring nonetheless.
If I were to recommend a Maria Snyder series to read I would probably not pick this one.
Rating: 3 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment