1.07.2010

Endings and Beginnings

Ham is getting ready to turn 3. Once he turns 3 he no longer qualifies for in-home therapy. We have the choice to pay out of pocket for the therapist, but that just isn’t something we can do. One of the first therapists we met and who did the initial screening was Miss Brenda.

IMG_3252

She has been his physical therapist from the beginning of walking around on his knees to running and jumping with the best of them.

The other therapist that has been with us from the beginning is Miss Karmann.

IMG_3251

Today when I looked at my calendar I realized I had doubled booked their therapy sessions by accident. In the past they have come together occasionally to visit Ham so it wasn’t a big deal.

IMG_3249

Except today was their last visit. It was hard having them leave knowing they won’t be back for therapy again. They have been such a big part of our lives.

We knew this day was coming soon and had started the evaluations to qualify him for preschool with our school district.

He passed his hearing and vision screening.

IMG_2206IMG_2207

He met with a speech therapist.

IMG_2312

He also had a meeting with the school district psychologist.

And every time there this good news/bad news moment. The good news is that his scores were great. The bad news is that he may not qualify for pre-school and therapy with the school district. Then what would we do?

Today was our meeting at the school to go over the final test results and see where we go from here.

The results were very interesting. He scored fairly high in his cognitive skills but his ability to express himself was low. And his adaptive skills were really low. So now it looks like Ham is heading to pre-school and Miss Molly will be his teacher.

IMG_3254

And I will be completely alone for 9 hours a week.

7 comments:

  1. Does he qualify for an IEP? Both my daughters have one. One for learning and the other for speech and some physical stuff. Sorry, I am being nosy here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whatever will you do with yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy/sad time.

    Do I sense lunch in our future?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad he gets to go to pre-school. My first two kids went to pre-school for speech therapy. It was hard sending my little three year olds to school every day, but it helped them so it was well worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am both happy and sad for you! How exciting though. A whole 9 hours? What will you do with yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  6. He is getting so big! I can't believe it. And we definately have to go out now... What time will he be going. Allie is at school from 1-3:30.. But I have to be home by 3..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ham is so much fun! I am sure his therapist are going to miss him just as much.
    I still can not believe he is going to be 3!!

    ReplyDelete