2.02.2009

Menu Monday

Here is the plan for this week:
  • Monday - zippy ziti (original recipe here and the updated version here)
  • Tuesday - sloppy joes (recipe here) Instead of using hamburger buns, which lead to a lot of waste at my house, I grabbed a bag of rolls at Costco on Saturday to use.
  • Wednesday - minestrone soup (a holdover from last week) with french bread
  • Thursday - salmon, couscous, and some type of veggie
  • Friday - King Ranch Chicken
  • Saturday - who knows?!?
  • Sunday - breakfast for dinner. I am not sure what, but I know it will include bacon! I am going to try baking it in the oven this time.

Thursday is Big Daddy's birthday and I was kind of excited when he chose salmon. We haven't had it in a long time because it has become so expensive. But hey a birthday is a good time to splurge!

I found this recipe in my collection. I have no idea where I got it from. I don't think I have ever made it and thought I would give it a try.

King Ranch Chicken

  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1 med onion, chopped
  • 1 can cream of mushroom soup
  • 1 can cream of chicken soup
  • 1 can Ro-Tel diced tomatoes and green chilies
  • 2 cups cooked chicken breast, shredded
  • 12 corn tortillas, torn into bite-sized pieces
  • 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
  • preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 9x13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
  • In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add onion and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add soups, Ro-tel and chicken, stirring until well blended.
  • Alternate layers of tortillas, soup mixture and cheese, repeating for 3 layers.
  • Bake about 30 minutes, until hot and bubbly. Serves 8.

I won't be adding a onion, maybe I will add some dried chopped onions. So I will probably be leaving the butter out also. That's the beauty of a recipe like this -- take things out that you or your family won't like and add stuff they will. And can I tell you I love, love, love Ro-tel. I used it all the time.

6 comments:

  1. hey, lene, i need your email address! thanks! 7waites at gmail dot com.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I lvoe to bake bacon (sounds like a tounge-twister!) in the oven. Just a tip: don't forget about it, set a timer a few minutes at a time if you are doing other things. It cooks faster in the hot oven. =)

    Chicken sounds good! How did your bread turn out? Love, Jenn =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everything sounds WONDERFUL.
    Though, I would still leave the canned soup out...of what ever.
    Love ya

    ReplyDelete
  6. So i have a question COMPLETELY unrelated to your post. :) How did you get that darling family picture on the top of your blog? I'm a little "blog challenged" and need some help! You can email me...kgibso@midwestern.edu
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete