4.14.2008

Menu Monday

I like to cook. I think I am an ok cook. I haven't sent anyone to the hospital or morgue with my cooking! But I am really lazy. I hate planning what we are going to eat. And I like take-out. So Saturday we sat down as a family and planned a menu -- for the next FOUR weeks! We have a couple of the days planned for the fifth week also. This is really a big deal. I don't usually do the plan-ahead-thing -- ever. I just kind of take life as it comes. But no more -- at least when it comes to dinner time! After everything was planned out Big Daddy and I went grocery shopping for the next two weeks. Not counting milk. I would need a second refrigerator to hold milk for two weeks. Some people might be thinking -- "Duh! What's the big deal. I do that all the time." For us this is a big deal!
Every Monday I am going to list our menu for the week. Maybe help someone out that doesn't like to plan ahead. Just remember our menus are kid-focused. I refuse to make more than one meal a night, and the easy way to avoid that is make meals that they will eat and I can tolerate. Plus we have included days that I know we still get to grab take-out or eat out.
  • Monday - Chicken Enchiladas (I know everyone has their favorite recipe for these. Sometimes I take the time to roll them and make real enchiladas, but most times I just make it casserole style.), corn chips, refried beans, veggies
  • Tuesday - Salmon (yes even my pickiest eater loves salmon), brown rice, veggies
  • Wednesday - Corn Cobbler**
  • Thursday - Hot Dogs, chips, fruit (Big J's favorite)
  • Friday - Take-out
  • Saturday - Free-for-all (our eating habit on Saturday are crazy, we mostly just graze all day)
  • Sunday - Homemade Chicken Pot Pie

**Corn Cobbler is what my kids call this dish. It is actually a tuna casserole recipe I found on kraftfoods.com. I don't really know how I found it because we don't really like tuna, but anywoo. It is super easy and super fast. And it is done in one pan.

Add 1 qt water to 2 cups uncooked medium shell pasta in a large skillet. Bring to a boil on high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook 8-10 minutes or until pasta is tender, adding 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables to the cooking water during the last 5 minutes of the pasta cooking time. Drain pasta and vegetables. Stir in 1 can cream of mushroom soup, a can of chicken breast (from Costco) and 1 cup shredded cheese. Top with additional 1/2 cup of shredded cheese; cover and cook an additional 2 minutes or until cheese is melted.

The best part about this recipe is the flexibility. If I have leftover chicken breast I can use that. The canned chicken from Costco is great in the recipe. Also the veggies and pasta can be whatever you have in your pantry. Elbow macaroni and peas - great! Rotini and broccoli - yummy! I think you get the idea.

3 comments:

  1. This is a great idea!!
    Thanks for sharing the recipe too!
    I think you are amazing!
    NIECE

    ReplyDelete
  2. you seriously need to hook me up with that pot pie recipe. I love home made chicken pot pie, but I don't have a good recipe.

    I am bad at planning tooo and need to get much better! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! You already know I'm a menu list freak but a bit of advice is keep it small! One week at a time or you'll get overwhelmed and quit. Keep with it for about 2 weeks - no matter how hard and you'll notice a difference!! It will make your day smooth and no one will bug you about dinner because they'll already know what's comin'! :)
    Good luck! And congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete