3.19.2009

Thursday's Child - Birthday Edition

Yesterday was Big J's 11th birthday. We usually have low-key birthdays, just invite family over for dinner and have cake and ice cream. But last night was a little different. Besides celebrating his birthday it was a special night for Big J for a different reason: It was a special Cub Scout Pack meeting.

Big J and and his friend Spence both earned the Religious Emblem Square Knot.

IMG_8703

And since there hadn't been any awards given out the last few months due to different reasons Jared was given all of them last night, and there was a bunch. Including his Webelos badge. (Notice Ham up there making sure his brother got all of his awards.)

IMG_8717

He also received his Arrow of Light award. The scout leaders had a nice little ceremony...which included me sitting up on the stage for waaay too long in front of people. I would much rather stay in the crowd being proud of the kidlets than sitting up in front of everybody.

IMG_8726

Anywho...since the night wasn't about me I will get back to Big J...

Part of the program included me painting Big J's face like an Indian warrior. Look how intent I am at doing it right. Okay again about me....but hey it is my blog.

IMG_8729

Here is Big J and Spence with their Arrow of Light Awards. The really neat thing....it was Spence's birthday also. How cool is that?

IMG_8733

Then they had a Bridge Crossing ceremony for the 3 boys that were going to be going to 11 year-old Scouts. These are probably 2 of Big J's best friends. It is so neat that they are advancing through Cub Scouts and on to Scouts together.

IMG_8741

Here he is with his award

IMG_8749

and amazing Warrior paint. My ancestors would be proud.

IMG_8750

Afterwards we headed home to celebrate his birthday. Woot Woot.

Einstein made the coolest card for him.

IMG_8773

On it he listed his "11 things" about Big J:

  1. My Brother
  2. Likes to play inside and outside
  3. Born March 18, 1998
  4. Likes to play by himself and with others
  5. Has many friends
  6. Smartest kid I know
  7. First child in his family
  8. Very athletic
  9. Very funny
  10. Likes many games
  11. My best friend

I thought it was an awesome tribute to his brother...and yes I got a little teary eyed as he read the list.

Finally we got to the cake. Big J wanted a tall layer cake. It was pretty tall and by the time I was done frosting it, it was pretty crooked. Oh well, it held candles and tasted great...if I do say so myself.

IMG_8790

I hope you had a wonderful birthday Big J.

IMG_8751

I love you and think you are a great Warrior in so many ways!

4 comments:

  1. AWesome. way to go Big J!!!!
    Happy belated Birthday to your young man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great day!!
    "E's" card is priceless beyond words.
    Happy B-day and Congrats again "J"!
    I love you,
    Aunt Niece

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go Stud Muffin! You are such an awesome kid. What a cool cake - we didn't get any cake, what's up wtih that??
    That is such a great idea to do warrior face painting. And I must say you did an awesome job!
    Happy Birthday Big J..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! What a fun time for him.

    (and since I always look in the background at people's houses, is that vinyl on your fridge? I love it. Very creative)

    ReplyDelete